Job Title: Interim Operations Manager
6 months Fixed-term contract
£32,000 – £42,000 (Starting salary depending on experience)
Bootstrap was established in 1978 to support people to set-up their own businesses and improve employability skills. Today, we are proud to continue evolving the spirit of the charity and building a space ‘where community works’.
Our core business is providing a mixture of workspaces to allow a diverse community of tenants to start up and grow. This ranges from desk space to studio space and shipping containers in the Bootyard, providing space for approximately 300 tenant businesses, housing everything from creative professionals, charities and social enterprises, through to a brewery in the Bootyard.
Bootstrap Company supports tenants to be socially enterprising and to grow into sustainable businesses. Bootstrap is a nurturing environment for entrepreneurs to connect, create, grow and have a positive impact on the wider community.
The Bootstrap Campus is our flagship impact project that provides space and structure for local 16-24-year-olds to connect and learn from Bootstrap Company tenants through workshops and work placements.
We run diverse positive events that to bring together different communities and interests. Last season, the Dalston Roof Park hosted over 110 events, including raising £9,000 for other charities and £40,000 for the Bootstrap Charity from the door alone. Our event spaces hosted events such as Dalston Beer Festival in the Bootyard to featuring the work of the late Colin O’Brien’s work in the Print House Gallery as well as local community events such as school visits in the Bee Garden.
This is a 6-month interim assignment created whilst the current Operations Manager steps up as Interim CEO. Your role is to manage the lettings and tenant relationships, which are at the core of Bootstrap’s mission and help improve the organisational systems and processes so that the Bootstrap team can perform more effectively. Alongside this, you will also be a line manager to three members of the Bootstrap team, a member of the management team and deputise for the Interim CEO.
NB. This role is for an immediate start with the ideal candidate starting no later than the first week of April.
Position in Organisation
Reports To: Interim CEO
Responsible For: IT & Lettings Administrator, Receptionist & PA, Events & Communications Coordinator
Budget Responsibilities: Rent, Rates, Service Charge, Office
Systems & Service Improvement
• Roll-out Salesforce across the organisation
• Continue to improve Salesforce set-up and provide support and training to the staff team
• Monitor system and process needs for the organisation to improve;
• Create robust processes where appropriate, and up-skill those around you to follow them
• Support CEO in the design and planning of scalable systems for growth
Lettings & Sales
• Responsible for ensuring the Bootstrap workspaces are fully let.
• Responding to the needs of the Bootstrap tenant community, to ensure customer satisfaction.
• Strategic approach to lettings to manage the tenant mix firstly, between social enterprises, creative enterprises and charities. And secondly between startup enterprises and established enterprises.
• Working with the facilities manager to guide the design and quality of any building improvement works in order to raise service quality and maintain occupancy.
• Follow the Social Lettings policy and support implementation of the Bootstrap Fund to ensure that the Tenant Mix meets Bootstrap’s charitable objects and Vision and Mission.
• Report on the social impact for Bootstrap workspace.
• Managing the budget for workspace rental contracts.
• Have an excellent understanding of budget management, forecasting and ensuring value for money.
• Support the administration of HR
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Business administration and systems development, including experience of using and administering online tools, for example services like Google Drive, Slack, Mailchimp, EventBrite and Trello (in a professional or personal context) – Essential
Experience of using Salesforce and experience of Salesforce customisation – Essential
Certified Salesforce Administrator – Desirable
Line management experience – Essential
Ability to manage a varied workload with a good sense of humour –Essential
Experience working in a fast paced, highly ambiguous environment –Desirable
A proactive, customer focused approach to work that delivers results –Essential
Project management experience – Essential
Agile Project Management certification – Desirable
Strong customer facing and sales skills – Essential
Creative and practical approach to problem solving – Essential
Good people skills and excellent judge of character – Essential
Excellent verbal and written communication skills – Essential
Empathy with team members, tenants and the wider community –Essential
Strong IT skills including Microsoft Office for Mac – Essential
Entrepreneurial spirit – Essential
Budget management experience. Numerate and confident to prepare and analyse financial data, budget & forecasts – Essential
Basic knowledge of Health & Safety and risk management – Essential
Enthusiasm & passion for social enterprise and Bootstrap’s mission –Essential
Commitment to deliver Bootstrap’s mission – Essential
Commitment to equality of opportunity – Essential
Charity / Social Enterprise experience – Desirable
Workspace experience – Desirable
Understanding of regeneration and community issues in London and Hackney – Desirable
Ability to understand and communicate spatial design i.e. interior or architectural – Desirable
Real estate pricing, sales and letting and knowledge of East London workspace market – Desirable
HR knowledge and experience – Desirable
How to apply?
Please send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com by 5pm Thursday 16th March 2017.
First round interviews will be held week commencing 20th March and second round interviews will be held in the following week commencing 27th March 2017.